Showing posts from July, 2013

Wedding Quilt - A Work in Progress

First, a great big thank you for considering my request for testers. I know it's an odd time of year to test, but I'm thrilled to say that I have three wonderful volunteers and we are ready to go! Here is a photo that I was really hoping to share with you in my last post, but couldn't find it for some reason. I adore the Bright Remix fabric set up in the hourglass block.  I thought I'd share with you the process for designing the other side of this wedding quilt:

I wanted the other side to use the same red, but pair it with grey.

First layout. Large 10.5" equilateral triangles. Five rows of triangles, seven full triangles in each row. Very graphic, but not symmetrical. Hmm...

 Maybe add more red shades of red? Liking that light red star...

More light grey? No.
 Different order? No.

More random? Hmm...

Order and random?

 Make the star completely light grey and use the dark grey for the random bits? Better, but not quite.
 Remove the dark grey? Yes, I think so.
And …

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3...

As I mentioned the other day, I'm writing a pattern for Falling for Stripes.

I'm using Ann Kelle's Bright Remix Stripe for Robert Kaufman. I love this fabric. I used it for the binding for What the FMQAYGQAL? and I've been hoarding collecting the rest for this project.

The main directions in the pattern are for the 6 fabric layout of the original Falling For Stripes quilt.

There will also be a couple of alternate options, one of which is a solid colour background. There's also the option of not using stripes in the pieced blocks so it has more of an hourglass block look to it.

Here's the top of the first test, using just white for the background:

Whadya think?

The quilt will be 55" by 67"-- a good throw size.

Interested in testing this pattern out for me? I'm looking for 3-4 people who could make this quilt in the next six (6) weeks.

Just so you know what you are getting into, the fabric requirements for the quilt are:

Fabric A (Stripe) – 2 ¼ yar…

Q2 FA{I}L So On To Q3

I actually did complete my Q2 goals for the 2013 Finish-A-Long (FAL) with Leanne @ She Can Quilt, but I forgot to link up. D'oh! Okay, I know it's not really a fail, but that letter play does amuse me. ;)

On my Q2 list were:

1) Su{Brrr}nova: Completed!
2) Seeing The Forest: Completed! Q3 Goals:

1) Flags for Lac Mégantic: Most of you are probably aware of the horrendous train crash that happened in the wee hours of the morning on Saturday, July 6th in Lac Mégantic, Québec. The devastation to this small town is pretty shocking -- 35 people are confirmed dead and fifteen are still unaccounted for, but presumed dead and the centre of town is levelled. It's heartbreaking!

Courtepointe Claire in Montreal is organizing a banner drive similar to that of To Boston With Love. I plan on making some flags to send down. If you'd like to as well, you can find more information on the Courtepointe Claire site.

2) Wedding Quilt: I still need to finish the other side, quilt and bind this gi…

TGIFF! - Curtains Up for TGIFF!

Welcome to TGIFF!, where every finish deserves a celebration!

One project that I haven't shared until now, but has been a true monkey on my back, is these curtains for my son's room. I started them back in December. I pieced the front back in December, but got stuck on adding the lining and hemming them. Curtains are not my strong suit. I've made them before and I curse them each time. I wish I could just hang quilts as curtains. Hmmm...

But the son wanted dark grey, purple and burgundy (yes, he's apparently 8 going on 25) and I couldn't find anything ready made. This project did nothing to endear me more towards making curtains in the future, but the son gave them a "They rock" so we're good to go. :D

I also finished this Simply Solids bee block for Chelsea at Pins and Bobbins. She asked for a spiderweb block, using this tutorial. I hadn't made one of these before so I was looking forward to it. Fun! I can see more of these in my future. :) Can…