Tuesday 23 August 2011

Stained Glass Lilies

As I had mentioned last month, I was prepping my Stained Glass Lilies to take with me on vacation. This quilt is actually made from a stained glass pattern from Ed Sibbett, Jr.'s Art Nouveau Stained Glass Colouring Book. I love his designs and wanted to try one of them as a quilt. To make it work for a quilt though, I had the pattern blown up from 8.5" by 11" to roughly 24" by 34". I then made a pattern of it by tracing it onto freezer paper. I was kind of making it up as I go and since I'm still not sure the way I did it is is going to work well, I won't go into a lot of details of the process yet.

Prior to vacation, I was trying to turn this...

into stained glass leading for this background, which I had put together last summer...

Before I left on this year's vacation, I got most of the big leading strips glued back with Roxanne's Glue Baste-It (neither my fabric glue stick or even Lapel Stick were doing what I needed it to do) so it looked like this.

Then I sprayed it with 404 (repositionable spray glue) so that the leading would stay put, but I could still move it around if needed and also so I'd still be able to turn under the edges of the smaller flower sections, which I wasn't able to glue back.

Side by side...will this work? After all the work I'd put into it so far, I was anxious. It's not pretty at the moment, that's for sure!


Here it is, put together with the spray glue. So far so good...

A couple of detail photos below...it's still just attached by spray glue. And so the appliqué began...


I worked on it a fair amount throughout my vacation, although not as much as I thought I would. It was a great hand work project to have with me. All of the black to the blue twilight background sections are now done, as are a number of the stems and leaves. Below are a couple of detail shots. The Roxanne's Glue Baste-It is definitely showing up as little dots everywhere right now. It should wash out...fingers crossed that it does!


Now to finish the rest of the appliqué and soak/wash it to get the basting glue out. I've never done needle turn appliqué before, but I think that's what I'll have to learn to do to finish the flowers and the stamens. Wish me luck because I think I'm going to need it! 

I'll work on this quilt in dribs and drabs from now on, as I'm watching TV or my kids' soccer/hockey/skating lessons and practices. This is definitely not a quick finish, but I think I'll be very happy with it when it's done. I probably won't post about this one again until the top is complete.

This project has definitely solidified my admiration for all those meticulous appliqué-ers out there!

P.S. Did I mention that there might be a giveaway coming up? :)

...

Even though it's not my usual Works in Progress post (because I haven't touched any of my other projects for the last three weeks!), I'm linking up with Freshly Pieced for W.I.P. Wednesday. Check out what others have been up to this week.


WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

9 comments:

  1. This quilt looks beautiful so far!! I love your fabric choices! Needle turn is the only appliqué method I have ever used... it isn't that hard once you get the hang of it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really looks beautiful! Enjoy working on it while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This project promises to be just as stunning as your others. I can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing! I would be completely lost as to where to even begin on something like that. Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is fantastic!! I am amazed at the work you put into it and how it all went together...great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on being a guest blogger!! The idea of virtual quilting trips is one I hadn't thought of!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing - I love how it is emerging. You've done a wonderful job. And just like a quilter to start with a complicatied project when first learning a technique - in this case needle turn applique -LOL, but in your case - you're a natural. Thanks for linking at Applique Thursday and sharing your eye candy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous quilt! I so love the stained glass look, just haven't had a chance to make one yet.

    Stopping in from Applique Thursdays. I linked to my reproduction of a quilt my grandmother made there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My stained glass roses took 8 years!!!

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...