With this piecing style, you can imagine that the finished blocks were all different sizes. I got them all roughly to 9"-9.5" by 13.9"ish for playing with the layout. However, before I pieced the top, I needed to make sure they were all a consistent size. I could have trimmed them to 8.5" by 13.5" but I wanted to maximize the size of the tree blocks, even if it's only by .25" or even .3" -- it adds up over a number of blocks!
I tried putting tape guides on my 12.5" by 12.5" ruler, but the height of my block is larger than that.
I found the smallest block, which was 8.85" by 13.8". I put masking tape on my cutting board to the size of 8.75" by 13.75", and used the cutting lines of the mat to trim the blocks. I'd line the block against the tape and cut along the mat lines.
|Block lined up against the tape guide|
|Sashing strip lined up against the tape guide|
|Trim using the mat grid|
So, wanna see the top and back? Without further ado, this is the top I completed with Helen Howes' Twelve Trees pattern. Without flash...
|Seeing the Forest For The Trees - Front - No Flash|
|Front - With Flash|
|Detail of the Back|
And here's the back. I took scraps leftover from the front in 2.5" and 1.5" widths and random lengths and sewed them together in one long chain and then cut them to 45" lengths (the width of the backing). Very improv, very quick, very fun! And I used up almost all of my scraps from the front. Bonus!
I played around with the layout of the rows a bit to try to balance the placement of the yellows. I then added some burgundy shot cotton to either side. I'm loving how the back turned out too!
|Seeing The Forest For The Trees - Back - No Flash|
|Back - With Flash|
|The truest photo of the colour |
was when my little monkey posed in front of it.
I'll spare you the sillier photos!