The centre (Part Two) uses 1" squares on a fusible grid. It was a beast to quilt on my old machine because it was thick and stiff. Originally I wanted gold thread in lines radiating outwards, but my machine was having none of it. In frustration, I used cream cotton thread on the grid and extended the lines outward in the background in gold. Lots of nests and tension problems. I think I redid it several times. Finally, I just tied off the cream threads at the back as best I could so it looked like this. Attractive, eh?
Fast forward a couple of years and it gets damaged with caulking while we were installing crown moulding. I cleaned what I could, but there was still significant residue on the binding of all three pieces and some across the front on one of them. None of the stain remover stuff I had at the time worked so I was going to have to replace the binding. Ugh! I wanted to work to work on pretty new things though so into the WIP pile it went.
Would you believe that I even found matching extra binding in my scrap bin? It was meant to be! I used part of it to replace the damaged section of Part Two's binding and will even have enough to replace the damaged sections of the binding on the other two pieces.
On a whim, I tried Ease Out on the caulking on the damaged piece and it worked almost perfectly! Woo hoo!
So much better! Okay, maybe it's not that noticeable, but I'm much happier with it.
You know, while I would choose different fabrics today, I still really like this piece and the value changes. I liked asymmetry even back in 2005. :)
Final size: 13" by 35" at the tip.
This is also one of my Q2 goals for the Finish Along with Katy @ The Littlest Thistle.
Now to fix Part One and Part Three...
Great repair job and fab triptych :DReplyDelete
Great repair job M-R! It looks lovely!ReplyDelete
Wonderful repair job. I am looking forward to seeing the others fixed.ReplyDelete
Great job. Time to give those old-ish pieces a little loveReplyDelete
Choose different fabrics? This is gorgeous!ReplyDelete
Great fix! You have such patience :)ReplyDelete
Nice to see the restoration was a success! Love those radiating lines. The asymmetry reminds me of the first quilt I was laying out like that... And my daughter thought it looked off balance. I love the asymmetric look, but not everyone gets it!ReplyDelete
Your quilt has new life, wonderful restoration!ReplyDelete
Fibonacci is fascinating--good for you to persevere!ReplyDelete
Wow, thats persistence for you! Love your workReplyDelete
This was definitely meant to be. It's beautiful and, even better, you're happy with it.ReplyDelete
It's a breathtaking piece (all three, actually), and I admire your persistence and courage in fixing the owies. What a treasure you've created!ReplyDelete
I like the use of color in there. Well done! Good repair!ReplyDelete
Your quilt set is so beautiful that I waited until today to read this post so I could give it my full attention. Wonderful restoration work! The quilting looks beautiful and I adore your binding fabric.ReplyDelete