Friday 20 June 2014

TGIFF! - Rainbow Creek Meets Niagara Falls

Happy, happy Friday, all! I'm excited to share my finished Rainbow Creek quilt with you! Woo hoo! Yes, another rainbow quilt. There can never be enough rainbow quilts, right? Right!

This was made using a jelly roll of Kona's New Bright Palette, a few more strips for the rainbow from my stash and some Kona Charcoal.


The quilting is straight-line like Mod 1600, but I added some wavy lines in some of the blue strips. Still love the fact that it looks quilted every 1/2" on the front, but when you flip it over, there are skipped lines. I don't know why, but little surprises like that make me smile. It's quilted with 50 wt. Aurifil 2630 on top (perfect match for Kona Charcoal!) and 2021 on the back. Yum!




The back uses the IKEA Numbers fabric paired with some good ole Cape Breton tartan. You'll be seeing a lot more of the Numbers fabric for my backings as I just snagged a bolt of it. Why a bolt? Well, it's been...wait for it...discontinued! Gasp! Thanks for the heads up, Katy.


Lessons learned:
  • Do not assume that all the strips coming out of a jelly roll are the same length. This strip quilt would have been easier to keep square if I'd cut all the strips to the same size before sewing them together. I ended up cutting a lot away from the edges because I just sewed them all the strips together without checking their lengths.
  • Taking photos on the Hornblower by the Falls is wet. Very wet. ;) My family is getting used to me bringing quilts along to get photos at interesting places. We'll see how long that acceptance lasts. LOL! Here are some of the outtakes:





Finished Size: 80" x 91"
Batting: Hobbs Heirloom

Linking up with the Lorna @ Sew Fresh Quilts who is hosting this week's TGIFF!

29 comments:

  1. This is such a great finish. Love the bright colors with the Charcoal. That Ikea fabric has been discontinued? Say it isn't so!!!! And I love your pictures. My husband is slowly starting to realize that every outing is a quilt picture taking opportunity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah I cannot believe you took pictures of the quilt on the ferry :) Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is such a pretty quilt! I just love the rainbow on the charcoal, it really just makes it shine--like a rainbow against a dark cloud! I kind of wish I'd gotten one of those jelly rolls too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is fabulous and your pics made me smile! I had such a fun time visiting the falls and you are very andventurous with the picture taking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. The out-takes remind me of the day we tried to photograph my City Sampler. Sometimes - how hard can it be? ;-) But the quilt is lovely - nice quilting interest. And seriously, how often do you see a photoshoot from Niagara Falls??

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's truly stunning! And I love the photos- thanks for sharing your out takes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That definitely looks like a memorable trip to the Falls. I plan on packing a couple quilts on our summer road trips for photo ops too. You can only take so many pictures in your back yard!

    And the quilt is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful and even more so in that setting...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just beautiful! Your quilt is well-traveled!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it's just beautiful! Lucky you weren't carried off in the wind . Congrats on. Stunning finish

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning! I love all the colours with the charcoal.
    And your outtakes are fantastic! I really need to be more adventurous with my quilt photography. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been to those Falls so I know how wet it is!! Great quilt, great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man how I love this! It is just so striking and fun and beautiful! And the pics are really cool too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. M-R, this is fabulous! Rainbow quilts (especially with Kona charcoal-yum) are so much fun! And I love the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right, there cannot be too many so pretty rainbow quilts! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those outtakes! Especially the peeking out from under one, M-R. The quilting is incredible. Such a gorgeous finish!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The quilting is perfect!! And man, it looks huge! How big is it? So impressed that you attempted any photos on the boat, lol so funny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha I love the outtakes the best - but this is one gorgeous quilt, M-R. Happy finish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are right! There are never enough rainbow quilts in the world! Yours is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful work! Wonderful picture taking trip. A rainbow quilt belongs at the falls....or above a pot of gold.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is fantastic and beautiful and colorful and I can't describe how yummy it looks

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Every time I see one of these rainbow stripe type quilts I want one. Maybe its time to just go ahead and make one too?

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great quilt! I love the quilting too! My favourite part of this post though, were the photos...love the out takes!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful,quilt! The colour arrangement worked out perfectly! I love the pictures of the quilt at Niagara! Funny how no one on the Hornbower is even looking at you taking pictures of your quilt! I always get funny looks when I'm trying to take a picture of my quilts somewhere. But really, the picture with the quilt up against all those yellow rain coats is quite striking!

    ReplyDelete
  25. HA! Laura bought the two open bolts of the fabric and I am buying one from her... I told her you would probably want some, but she said that you had been at IKEA too and didn't seem interested... LOL!! She did say she left a full bolt, and I am guessing it now is in your house LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  26. love it! We had a great time on the Hornblower, and I can attest to how wet your quilt got, but what great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum is right! This one is a stunner! I love the photos. Did you get many questions from the other people?

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVELY!!! and haha, your poor family... I was there when it was -14C on New Year's Day... the coldest I've ever been I think!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...