Wednesday 6 August 2014

Experimenting with Glue - A Work in Progress

I was cleaning up my quilt haven the other day and found a surface design WIP (another one!) from a few years ago. I swear they multiply like rabbits up there.

The project below was started with a friend of mine who loves surface design work. Lutradur, tyvek, organza, velvet, screen printing -- you name it, she's tried it. She showed me this 'use Elmer's School Glue (Gel) as a resist, let it dry and then paint on it with Seta Colour paints' technique. There's a great free Quilting Arts Surface Design eBook available on how to do this too, if you want more details. 

This is the wrinkly mess I pulled out from its little warren. It still had the resist in it from three (?) years ago. I honestly wasn't sure the resist would come out anymore.


I soaked it in water for an hour and gently scrubbed the glue away. And then scrubbed it a little less gently and the resist all came out! 

And voilà!


I'm liking the colours a lot, the spirals less so, but that's okay -- it's a learning piece. I have no idea what to do with it now, but if you have any ideas, I'm all ears! 

14 comments:

  1. Looks like the perfect size to make a new pouch for your sun glasses!! This is so cool, will be checking out the ebook link!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say pouch, then I saw the previous comment - great minds think alike. How big is the piece? I totally see a small cosmetic bag-type pouch with this. Or if someone you know needs a knitting needle roll... something that allows you to use most of the piece without cutting it up in small bits without drowning it in a sea of other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty piece of fabric. I like the pouch suggestion...not that I'm allowing peer pressure to guide me. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. interesting. no idea either, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the result of the glue: color and design. How about a mug rug, not to be stained with tea, but placed next to a pretty plant, it would be a pleasure to see it often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reminds me os some of the Australian Aboriginal designs. Perhaps a mini quilts with some reds and blues

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect free motion practice piece!!! it's just like batik. I've done that with flour and water as well as the traditional wax

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cut it into strips, add some jewel tones and black fabrics, and make a quilt

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh how cool! not sure what to do with it either, though honestly a little bag came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Place mat. Add hunks of fabric on one side or both to make it rectangular. Where I live, ladies bring their own lunches to quilt bees. Many use a place mat they have made as well as hand made lunch bags.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you are not happy with the spirals then I would cut it up into squares and piece back together. It would shake up that spiral design and add interest. I think it could be made into some kind of pouch too but cutting it up would be so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhhhh, cool. I have collected all the stuff for years, but have I tried it? Heck no. Now I really need to make myself buckle down. I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a lovely piece and I think that whatever you decide, you should make it the star. I kind of like the idea of a tote, pouch...etc....depending on the size of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...