Friday 24 October 2014

Blogger's Quilt Festival - A Banner Day for Otis

The Blogger's Quilt Festival is one of my favourite times of the year! If you haven't been here before, welcome! A huge thank you to Amy Ellis @ Amy's Creative Side for organizing this inspirational bonanza.

I decided to share this bunting quilt I made for my nephew Otis. My sister wanted bright colours for the nursery and picked out some yellow, red and blue fabrics. The inspiration for my design came from Laura's bunting quilt. The fabric for the bunting flags and cording was turned under, secured to the white background with a glue stick and machine appliquéd using a blanket stitch.

A Banner for Otis...at African Lion Safari
I spent a lot of time deliberating on the quilting, but settled on echo lines, loopy loos, and stippling to accentuate the bunting. I left the bunting unquilted and I like that the bunting puffs up, but time will tell whether that was a good call.


I'm so very pleased with how it turned out!


The fabric for the bunting cords, the backing and the binding is Red Clown Stripe by Michael Miller:



This quilt finishes at 40" by 60" so it will grow with Otis a bit -- long enough for me to make him another one.

I'm entering this into the Appliqué category of the Blogger's Quilt Festival. There are so many gorgeous quilts in the Festival so I hope you get a chance to do some touring and enter yourself!

AmysCreativeSide.com


11 comments:

  1. Very sweet and what fabulous quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quilting; it complements the bunting perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great fun design, I'm sure he will love exploring the fabrics in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great quilt and I love all your quilting. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this. Ive just finished one almost identical (without such gorgeous quilting) so I just had to come and have a look when I saw it in the link line up. You did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a beautiful quilt and your quilting is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun quilt and the quilting really takes it to the next level. I really like that the quilt will be able to with grow with Otis. Well done and good luck with this entry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great work on the quilting! Love the colours and the backing fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is too cute and perfect for a crib and/or toddler quilt, even if a picnic quilt! Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a cheerful little quilt and the quilting is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely quilt, lovely quilting - such a happy little banner! Very cute fabrics, and I love the stripe for the ropes and binding.

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...