Thursday 9 October 2014

TGIFF! - Fibonacci Is Not Random - Part One

Welcome to TGIFF! I'm so happy to say that I've finished repairing the last of my Fibonacci Is Not Random triptych. Woo hoo! Even though it's the last one I've fixed, it's actually called Part One.


Like its sisters Part Two and Part Three, this wallhanging uses block measurements from the Fibonacci sequence up to 13" -- 1", 2", 3", 5", 8" and 13".  It was made back in 2003-ish for our old dining room. It was damaged a few years later so has sat waiting in my WIP pile to be fixed.


For the quilting, I used Aurifil # 2312 and used a walking foot quilting technique that I learned from Heather Lair. I decided that I wanted circles to be prominent on this piece for a sort of crop circle effect. I really love this style of quilting.


The back gives you a better idea of the quilting.


This quilt is 12.25" by 31", just like Part Three. I lost 3/4" on the width and 1/2" on the height from the tighter quilting.


Why do I find Fibonacci numbers so interesting? This short TED Talk by Arthur Benjamin shares what's makes this sequence so cool.



18 comments:

  1. So glad your wall hangings are restored -- and even improved upon! -- since their run-in with the crown molding caulk. I really enjoyed learning more about the inspiration behind these unique pieces. One fewer WIP means you get to celebrate by starting a new WIP, right? : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, those look really great hanging together. Nice recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all look great. I love them. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get over the quilting on these!! Beautiful!!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. That quilting is wonderful! I don't know about Heather Lair - I'll have to try Google!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilting is also what caught my eye :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on completing your restoration work, MR! They look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ❤️ This is my favourite of the three! They look fantastic together, good job fixing them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are just amazing! I like the quilting you did on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the fibonacci clip. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Can you come quilt something of mine with that cool circle?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the quilting on this. Excellent! Glad all your pieces are back together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hurray for fixing all of them! I love the set all together, what fun representations of the Fibonacci sequence!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Fibonacci is a cool concept and I think it's cooler that you made it into a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finish for a Thanksgiving Friday. hope you have a great long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful hanging - love it all and especially the colours. I too am interested in Fibonacci and used it in a quilt some time ago but have not used it for a while. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's gorgeous! How was it damaged?

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...