Sunday 24 January 2016

Colour Pop - A Work in Progress

A cold has sapped my energy this week so not much is happening on the quilting front. Except that I've started quilting Colour Pop. I put in two layers of batting on this one so the quilting will really pop.

The triangular spiral quilting is simple in look but tricky to do. If you use a walking foot to get nice straight lines, there is a lot of turning of the quilt. Free motion quilting goes quicker, but is hard to get nice straight lines, which is what I want in this case.

I am trying rulers for the first time. Bernina came out with a ruler foot for their new long arm machine and it is compatible with the domestic machines (NB: check your machine warranty before you go out and get one). I've been wanting to try ruler quilting since I took the Quilting With Rulers on a Home Machine class on Craftsy.

I'm learning a lot and some areas are not very pretty, but I've got it about 1/3 of Colour Pop quilted. It's going faster than the walking foot, but slower than free motion quilting.


A couple of sponsor news items for you! Sew Sisters Quilt Shop is having an online sale today only. 20% of yardage! Sweet! See their sale notice for details.

Image 2016-01-24 at 8.03 AM



Canadian National Fabrics always has some great treasures in their Sale section! Remember, there's free shipping on order over $50 in Canada.

Canadian National Fabric

Mad About Patchwork has some gorgeous Cotton + Steel on sale right now!

Mad About Patchwork
Hope you have a great weekend! 

6 comments:

  1. It's looking really good! I should investigate that ruler quilting. Sounds a bit cumbersome, but I'm curious. Love the look you are creating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that does look like a lot of work, it'll be so worth it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job!!! We're hardest on ourselves. I wish I had more experience with rulers. And a little fairy to give these rulers to me!!!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome quilting! It may take you some time, but it's going to look awesome. Good luck with finishing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm interested in ruler work too but found the rulers to be pricey. Googled Westalee Rulers Canada and found "Stitched in the Ditch" in B.C. Awesome prices in Canadian dollars!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful quilting. I'd like to eventually try the quilting with rulers.

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...