Saturday 4 June 2011

New Project - Stripey, Concentric Squares on Point Surrounded...or Project Y

A few months ago, I bought some of this Kaffe Fassett striped fabric. I don't know the name (not on the selvage, nor can I find it online easily -- grrr!), but here it is:



I just loved the colours in the fabric and thought it would be great in a concentric square block quilt or in something similar to this Kaffe Fassett and Liza Prior Lucy's Hankerchief Corners quilt.


I naively thought I'd be able to find some compatible colours in my stash, but that was not the case. There is absolutely nothing similar in either colour or hand of the fabric. So that poor stripe sat alone in my stash, feeling different and alone (though not unloved). Yesterday, I went back to the store to find some fabric for another project, when I saw some of the rest of the Kaffe line. Just had to pick up some friends for my lonely stripe!

Now, I don't have nearly enough variety to do the hankerchief corners, so I will do something different. Here's my sketch -- very rough at the moment, but it's essentially nine concentric square blocks of varying sizes surrounded by the other colours below.


I'm going to try designing the quilt more accurately in Electric Quilt, but it may end up being a design-as-you-go if I get too frustrated. 

Oh, I just remembered that I have a skirt made with similar material that I found last summer (pointed it out to Chuck and, lo and behold, the 'boys' bought it for me for my birthday!). No wonder I loved the stripe fabric. Similar, no?


This skirt is also unlike anything else I have in my wardrobe, and it really isn't my style, but I really like it. It is also completely impractical for the life I lead running around after three little boys, but I vow to wear it more this year.

Hmm, I wonder if I subconsciously bought the stripe fabric because I felt guilty for not wearing the skirt more. And if I take that logic and extend it...Oh my goodness, I'm making a quilt for a skirt?!

Well on that bizarre note, I'm going to go finish a project while watching "That Skirt's Just Not That Into You"...I mean He's Just Not That Into You.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how our eye tends to go toward similar things! Love your design and looking forward to seeing more!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting, LaDonna! I worked on this one a bit this afternoon and I'll be posting a couple of photos tomorrow as part of work in progress Wednesday.

    Cheers,
    M-R

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...