Separation of Church and State - A Work in Progress

The improv bug has definitely hit. That paired with overflowing scrap bins made doing some improv piecing a good idea this week. I separated my scraps into two piles -- brights and tones. This is what I did with some of the tones.

It's a puzzle:


Added a grey stripe and the improv pieces felt done:


Then I had a thought to add a border to showcase the quilting I had in mind. Also the border would help contain the busyness of the improv piecing.

Trying out some greys:


And then some Essex linen:


In the end, I switched out the grey for natural Essex linen and there it was -- Separation of Church and State.


I'll let you decide which section is which. Any guesses? ;)

Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

5 comments:

  1. Great job with the improv. Good luck with quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over how much I like this! It is fabulous :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Especially with the Essex linen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Looks like it was really fun to make.

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Wholecloth Experiment

I've been mulling over an idea about doing a colourful wholecloth using the walking foot quilting technique I learned from Heather Lair,...