Snowstorm today so
posed for pictures
in the basement
I shared this poor quilt's story back in November when I pulled it out of the On Hold pile and finished the top.
Here's the finished Clockwork Orange!
|Beige and black rail fence panel offset|
in a black background with
orange striped accents.
Quilts Made Modern, I learned that the technical problem with my rail fence fabrics are their figure/ground relationship. On fabric, the figure is the illustration and the ground is the background. Because my fabrics all have similar figure and ground colours, they read as one when pieced together even though they have different scales. I needed more contrast or different colours between them for the rail fence to work properly. Good to know!
|The back made of leftover fabrics.|
The back is pieced using the remaining blocks and fabrics from the rail fence. Love the back! I was thrilled to use up all the Millennium text fabric and glad that there was a bit of the clock fabric left over for other projects.
|Detail of the free motion |
quilting of the full cog.
For the quilting, I used straight line quilting in black and orange thread for some of the border, some free motion 'hardwood floor' quilting in the rail fence area, and some free motion overlapping 'cogs' on the black around the rail fence area. I did a few full cogs and quilted some details inside them. Very happy with the cogs and straight line quilting (done with my walking foot), less so with the hardwood floor area (it's hard to do free motion straight-line quilting over so many seams!).
It's the first time I tried bamboo batting and it's also the first time I washed a quilt before taking pictures. I don't know if there was something in the laundry or if it was just the batting, but there was some serious lint/bearding issues when this came out of the dryer!
Quiltography: "Clockwork Orange," by Michèle-Renée Charbonneau, Ottawa, 67" by 88", 2011.
While it's not my favourite quilt, I am doing the happy dance with how it finished and I'm very glad it is off the WIP list!
Finishing Clockwork Orange is also what I pledged to finish this week for Amy's One Week One Thing Challenge.
Your turn, party people!