Friday 21 March 2014

TGIFF! - Modern Totems

Happy first day of Spring! You'd never know it around here though; Old Man Winter is holding on for dear life! I'm determined to welcome Spring though, hence today's finish, which has Spring-like colours.

I started out with a Hello Luscious Charm Pack and a 1/2 yard of the blue and cream fabric from the line. I wanted something with clean lines, modern and fresh feel and straightforward piecing. I added in the soft white of Kona Snow -- so a Snow convert now!

If you'll remember, I was kind of stuck for a name. Luscious Columns/Modern Columns was what was brewing. However, when I took the kids to the Museum of History last week during March Break and saw my favourite totems again, it hit me -- Modern Totems.

The quilting was done with white 50wt. Aurifil #2021. Wishbones in the totem columns. Alternating double loopy loos and single loopy loos in the background. Flowers in the squares.



Modern Totems - Front
Simple pieced back:

Modern Totems - Back
I'll be teaching Modern Totems in a workshop with the Ottawa Valley Quilters Guild in November. 


Finished Size: 52" by 59".

Linking up to TGIFF!, which is over at Sew Fresh Fabrics this week. Check it out and come link up your recent finish!


19 comments:

  1. Great name, lovely quilt. I like the way the strips of piecing are laid out so they come forward. Sometimes white keeps other colors "in the background" but your clever longer-in-the-middle and shorter-as-you-move-to-the-sides layout lets me see the fabric first and THEN enjoy the white spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely M-R! That freshness we all need right now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous :) I worked at that museum an age ago - nice to see your quilt there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. another one for the museum? looks great there. how many puzzled looks did you get during your photo shoot?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! The quilting looks great on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Turned out lovely and what a great pics with the totems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing finish! I love the colours, the quilting, everything! And the photos are pretty cool too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect name for a fabulous quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful springtime quilt! Makes me want to have a picnic in a meadow. In a sundress and a big floppy hat. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabric and spring feel to it. Lovely and soft.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. The colours have a lovely softness about them and I like name Totems :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this is so yum! I love the quilting, and the name is awesome too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is sew-weet! Those soft spring fabrics are whispering. And I love what they have to say! Love the quilting, M-R. And the name. Lovely pictures. Have a great time teaching the workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I see you have as much fun naming your quilts as i do. Love the quilt, love the name. I wish for some spring weather in your part of the world soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooh that's pretty! Summer is hanging on grimly here - we had our first rain in 100 days... but it's 33C and 6pm right now ... come hang out with me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's the perfect name for an absolutely gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved the museum when we were there this summer. The quilt is perfect for that photo shoot! Or is it the museum is perfect for the quilt! Great quilt!
    Barb@Witsend

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's beautiful! I love that you took your quilt to the museum for the pic! :)
    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...