It was time to break into my black and white fabric collection and try something new for me. Okay, the rainbow isn't new, but it's all prints!
Here are the elements I wanted to play with in this quilt:
- Asymmetrical design
- Progression of the values of black and white prints outward from the rainbow
- Progression of the size of the coloured triangles
- Ruler quilting
- Getting more comfortable with prints
I am very, very happy with the design. :)
|It fits perfectly!|
I talked a little more about my experience with ruler quilting in this post. I will say this -- while I love the look of ruler quilting, it was very hard on my hands and arms and I probably won't try this again on a quilt this large.
When it came to the quilting, I did a concentric triangle in all of the black and white prints using a ruler and my favourite white Aurifil 2021 on both the front and the back. For the large coloured triangles, I did a different straight-line motif in each one in a matching thread colour.
I love this spirograph.
Here is the back - stuck with the black and white theme. It was the first time that I was successful at getting the pieced back to line up straight with the front. It's the little things, I tell you.
Final size: 53" by 71"
Some lessons learned:
- All black and whites are not the same. While all of the prints looked to have the same white in my studio, when I took the top outside, I found that they were not. Since this quilt's natural habitat will not be outdoors, I didn't bother fixing it.
- I wanted to make sure that the strong backing did not show through to the front so I doubled the batting. Added bonus -- the quilting shows up more.
- Because the triangles have bias edges, they can stretch more easily and I found there was some stretch along the edges of the quilt as I was quilting each triangle. To prevent or minimize this next time, I would quilt along the perimeter to stabilize the edges after I've done the grid quilting foundation and before I quilt in each triangle. Blocking the quilt also helped remove some of the waves along the edge.
As this was finished during Q1 Finish-A-Long, you can bet I'm linking up there.
I'm a little early, but I'm also linking up with my TGIFF peeps over with Cynthia this week.