Friday 14 October 2011

TGIFF! - Falling for Stripes

Oh, look, it's climbing a tree. ;)
Welome to our second TGIFF! Party! Laura at Quokka Quilts and I think every finish deserves a party so we launched this touring TGIFF! Party. Laura hosted last week, I'm hosting this week's party, and Erin of Missy Mac Creations will be our hostess with the mostest next Friday.

I know that I've totally milked this project with little peaks and teases so thank you for your indulgence! I think this is my favourite quilt to date. As far as I know, it's my original design. I qualify this statement because I look at so many quilts (obsessed, remember?) that I'm never quite sure if it's all mine or if I saw something somewhere similar and tucked it away in the back of my mind. If you've seen something similar, let me know and I'll gladly give the credit to whomever it belongs, if it's not me.

For those of you who have been following for a while, you may remember that I started Project Y (interim name) back in June. I didn't think of this as Fall-like when I was staring summer in the face, but when I saw the A Fall Palette post by Rachel at Stitched in Color, something clicked. I didn't associate purple with Fall before, but now I sure do.

Seeing that post also helped me think of a name, which for some reason was eluding me. Normally, names for my quilts come pretty easily. There have only been a few that stumped me and this was definitely one of them. I toyed with this name and that name. Someone suggested that I stick with Project Y, and I considered that for a while, but I just thought this one needed something more original. Once the Fall colour theme registered and as this was the first time that I worked with stripes like this and loved it, Falling for Stripes just seemed perfect!

I paid much more attention to the quilting on this project. I'm still pretty new to free motion quilting (FMQ) and wanted to use it to accentuate the design as much as possible. Straight lines were in order, but in patterns. It was going to be a challenge to make straight lines without my walking foot! I took my time and used my trial quilting sheets to work out how each section would look. And I diligently tested out the threads on scrap fabrics. Then I mustered up the courage and went at 'er. I did it 'right' and didn't rush or wing it like I usually do, and I'm sooo happy with the results. Still doing the Happy Dance with this one. :)

Okay, enough naddering. Here is Falling for Stripes. This is my quilt, just for me, for absolutely no purpose whatsoever. I'll probably use Falling for Stripes while reading and wearing my crazy skirt. :)

Falling for Stripes - The Front
Falling for Stripes - The Back


Detail Shot of the FMQ

Detail Shot of the FMQ

Quiltography: “Falling for Stripes,” original design by Michèle-Renée Charbonneau, Ottawa, 36” by 47”, 2011.

Other tidbits: Fabrics are shot cottons by Kaffe Fassett. Thread is Blendables by Sulky.

And because I now do think this is Fall-appropriate, I will link up to Celebrate Color as well.

Celebrate Color

I'm also linking up to Sew Modern Monday.
{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations


25 comments:

  1. Congratulations M R on such a fantastic quilt. I love Falling for Stripes - I think it is a very unusual pattern and I adore your colour choices, It has such a warm glow to it -I'm not surprised you are still doing a happy dance - I would be too !!
    Being pretty new to FMQ myself - I take my hat off to you - the quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the front, but I love the back! How did you find Kaffe's shot cottons to work with? I got some recently, but have a suspicion they might distort really easily?

    PS - I keep forgetting to mention that I love seeing a colourful wholecloth on your bucket list! I like your ides of doign it on black. I plan to make another using a different block design - eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this quilt...both sides!!
    I give you a lot of credit for the straight line FMQ! I tried that and it was a total disaster..you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It turned out awesome M-R. Very modern and cool!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, wow, wow!! I am in LOVE with Falling for Stripes!!! That is incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both sides and especially the shot of it climbing the tree ;) I'm also planning on making one just for me using some vintage and repro fabrics! We have to be a bit selfish ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one beautiful quilt. Congratulations on the finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful quilt - just gorgeous and well done to you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous!! Congratulations on another finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quilt, M-R. The back is fantastic...just might steal that idea one day!!! (wink)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous quilt! Just found your blog thru another blog I follow. Going to follow along. :) Nice to meet you.
    xo
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Aeesome quilt and 12 linkees! Sorryi missed it but i am having FAR too much fun in melbourne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, do you ever have an eye for color and desiign!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I L.O.V.E. this quilt, amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Completely spectacular! Both the front and the back are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing! This quilt looks like a lot of love went into it (front and back!). The color choices are also so perfect together. I added your pics to my Pinterest collection: http://pinterest.com/jenelle_eanda/

    ReplyDelete
  17. incredible quilt! love the name, too. great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wowzers, you put so much thought into that front and back. I love the effect on the back! Thanks for adding it to Celebrate Color =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just amazing! It is incredible!! I'd love to have a pattern to buy from you someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is gorgeous! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! Excellent work - the colors and placement and quilting are all prefect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I don't know if you will get this, but can I buy this pattern? I really love this quilt. I'm not moved to make something as fast as I was when I saw this. Fabulous.
    Hilary
    mcdaniel.hilary@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Did you create a pattern for this quilt? Where may it be purchased?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Michelle, I’m also praying there is a pattern to purchase please? Warmest, Nette (annette.pinzone@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...