Since this is a pretty text heavy post, I thought I'd pop in a photo of the progress on my scrappy Chop Suey quilt. Most of the blocks are up on the design board and I must say it's looking like quite a mess at the moment. I'll be adding more light squares to the middle and dark squares around the edge. I'm hoping that will help. Any other ideas?
So here are my answers to Marjorie and Lucy's fun questions.
1. What got you started sewing/quilting?
I made my bed in university and decided that I should make a quilt to go on the bed.
2. How long have you been crafting?
All my life. My poor family received so many odd crafts from me over the years as Christmas gifts. They love me. :)
3. Where did you travel to this year?
Nova Scotia, Canada
4. What is your favorite foreign food?
Hmm, probably butter chicken. Yum!
5. Have you ever been to New Brunswick, Canada?
Yes, a few times and I'm going to St. Andrews by the Sea this summer for our vacation. Very excited!
6. What is your favorite on line fabric shop?
I haven't purchased anything online yet (I know, gasp!), but I regularly ogle Mad About Patchwork's site and know that it's only a matter of time. :)
7. What TV show do you like; if any?
Ha ha, I'm a big TV junkie. Right now, it's Castle, Rizzoli and Isles, Supernatural, The Amazing Race, The View, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Alcatraz. And I've actually cut down since I started my blog.
8. Who has been a big influence in your crafting life?
Hmm, not anyone for crafting really. No one in my family crafted or quilted. For quilting though, I've taken a number of classes from Elaine Quehl and Mary Pal and they've helped me improve my techniques tremendously. Not to mention that they are just really awesome women.
9. Do you like working outside/gardening?
Um, no. I tried for a while, but it's clear that I have a black thumb and now all I want to do is quilt anyway. A neighbour is going to help me this week figure out what to do with my garden. I'm thinking lots and lots of perennials. ;)
10. What is your favorite season and why?
Winter. I'm a winter kind of woman. I love to play ringette and ski. Our area is absolutely gorgeous blanketed in snow. And the snow stays in Ottawa and it stays white most of the winter. Seeing the snow fall onto the trees outside our windows is one of my favourite views. It's just so peaceful and beautiful. Love it!
11. What is the one crafty item you really want to make one day?
Okay, you can totally laugh at this, but I want to make a Quiltgie. I asked for a Snuggie one year and got it. It's huge and electric blue though. I want to fit it better and cover it with quilt blocks so it's a Quiltgie. Awesome, right? Oh come on, you know you want one too. ;)
1. What's the most spontaneous thing you've ever done?
The short version: I went to Florence, Italy with some other exchange students when we were 16. A gypsy girl stole my wallet. A wonderful Italian lady let me know right away and so I chased down the girl and demanded my wallet and money back. I created a huge scene and the police came. I got it all back. The long version: Is filled with big hand gestures and way more silly details. ;)
|Me with the warning sign we found the day AFTER |
the pickpocket incident!
3. Which colour of fabric do you use the most?
4. Did you have a toy/blanket that you took to bed when you were little?
Not really. I read a lot so that's what I took to bed.
5. What song always gets stuck in your head?
We Are Young by Fueled by Ramen. I just love that song!
6. What's the best concert you've ever been to?
Barenaked Ladies or U2.
7. What did you want to be when you grew up?
Ha ha, when? I changed my future professions like I changed clothes! Here's a sampling of the ones that stuck around longer - Princess Leia, police officer, forest ranger, commercial artist, lawyer.
8. Camping or a hotel?
Hmmm, probably a hotel. I like camping, but the hubster does not.
9. Do you have a nickname?
M-R, but my sister (who is the only one who is allowed to call me this) calls me Michie.
10. Can you play any instruments?
No, I am musically challenged. I took piano lessons for a year and flute lessons in school and it wasn't pretty.
11. Would you rather call/text/email or write a letter?
I'm an in-person kind of chatter. Of those options though, I'd say call.
Now for my questions:
1. What is your favourite book?
2. If you could have dinner with one person, living or dead, who would it be?
3. When you free motion quilt, do you drop the feed dogs or quilt with them up?
4. What is your proudest quilting moment?
5. When did you know you were hooked on quilting?
6. What is your favourite place in the world? Why?
7. What is a little known fact about you?
8. If you were given $1,000 that you could spend on anything for YOU, what would you spend it on -- clothes, shoes, fabric? Something else?
9. What is your favourite quilt that you made?
10. What is your favourite quilt that someone else made?
11. If you could be any character in a book, which one would it by and why?
To these rocking' people:
Tabatha @ Bending Pins
Kit @ Kit Lang Fiber Art
Ginette @ The Quilting Princess
KristyLou @ KristyLou Creations
Amanda @ Don't Tell Quilts
Flo @ Butterfly Quilting
Monika @ My Sweet Prairie
Erin @ Missy Mac Creations
Shanna @ Sparrow In Flight
Pat @ Colour Me Quilty
Melinda @ Tilda's Twisted Life
You're it! :)