Thursday 12 December 2013

TGIFF! - Bébé Éléphant

Welcome to TGIFF!, where every finish deserves a celebration!

When my cousin announced her pregnancy, I (of course) offered to make her a quilt. I'm the only quilter in our huge family so she immediately took me up on the offer.

She sent me some ideas - grey, white, aqua (or mauve, but she went back to aqua) and elephants. Then Pam from Mad About Patchwork contacted me about curating a bundle. Hello!

Remember this yummy stack from Mad About Patchwork? Psst...it's still available. Just sayin'. Holidays and all that. :)

While I ended up taking out some of the darker tones, I used most of these fabrics for the patchwork band and the elephants.

I showed you this layout of the top a couple of weeks ago. The grey (Kona Iron) was looking too dark so I switched it to Kona Ash. Much better!


The Spoonflower fabric for the backing arrived and it was perfect! I decided to try linear loopy quilting for the first time on the grey and stipple in the patchwork band, with my trusty Aurifil light grey (#2600). Love, love, love! 
Bébé Éléphant - Front
Bébé Éléphant - Back
I also decided to wash it to get rid of the guidelines I made for the quilting lines and also so I could see if I liked the scrunchy washed look. Can't say I'm loving it.

I had pre-washed all the fabrics, but not the batting and the batting shrunk. Not a lot, but enough that the fabric looks a little bulky in a few of the lighter quilted areas. Lesson learned -- if I'm going to do looser quilting, I'm going to pre-wash everything.

Not a big deal though -- I still love this quilt and so will my cousin, I hope! It will be perfect for cuddling her petite bébé d'amour!

Final size: 38" by 50".

18 comments:

  1. that is very cute! you've let the fabric 'speak' to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great quilt M-R! Funny thing: my cousin is having a baby in March and the room is aqua and grey with an elephant theme! I also bought your bundle from Mad About Patchwork! I love your design! Mine will be a little different, hopefully just as nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that fabric bundle! The quilt and elephants turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MR, your elephant quilt is lovely. Don't be too hard on yourself about the "scrunchy" washed look. It is perfect. I too bought that bundle. Have not cut into it yet, but unlike some of the other stuff I bought lately, it is washed and ironed and ready! bienvenue bébé!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it and great colour changes especially for a baby. Your quilting choice is perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. The quilt is beautiful and I absolutely love your bundle... Hmmm...it is the holidays... Hahahahaa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is just gorgeous! Lovely the colours and the quilting looks very sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh what a beauty of a baby quilt. The perfect colour combo too : )
    I think I might link up here too

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is cute. I like the color combo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I love the colours...turquoise is always a hit with me. Really want to try that loopy quilting it looks so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is adorable! I love the elephants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! Love the little parade and gorgeous colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Delightful, absolutely delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those elephants are just darling! Such a nice change from the usual baby motifs.

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...