Thursday 13 March 2014

TGIFF! - March Break Madness

I was planning on sharing my finished Luscious Columns quilt today, but we finished Daniel's Wee Spy quilt!

I have to admit that when we began last weekend, I was sure this was going to end up as a WIP. He surprised me though. He was determined to finish it.

For the quilting, I had pulled out some variegated yellow thread that I thought would match his quilt (and that I hoped we could use up!), but he wasn't having any of it. He pointed to a spool of yellow polyester Aurifil thread (#5222) and said "that one looks like gold." Okay, Rumpelstiltskin. Even my kid prefers Aurifil. LOL!

He is so excited about his quilt!

Look at that grin! There's son #3 doing his best to photobomb.
He especially loves this bulldog square for some reason:


I am less enamoured with the bulldog.

Trying to get clear photos of this quilt was a challenge. We tried this:


Then this:

Then this:

And this:
Playing I Spy
Finally, I snuck out of the house with it while they were playing mini sticks.

Daniel's March Break Madness - Front
Darn tree shadows!

Daniel's March Break Madness - Back
Oh well, you get the picture, right? Ha ha.

His finished quilt measures 44" by 50".

It was so much fun seeing the quilting process through his eyes. I'm so proud of him. :) He's already picked out the colours he wants for his next project. A placemat. Phew!

I'm now contemplating Purl Buttons advice to Hide.My.Stash! :)

19 comments:

  1. M-R, wow! Tell Daniel I love his quilt! I am so impressed that he got it done! I can only hope my girls get their projects done...otherwise I'll have their WIPs taking up space in my studio too! That will definitely be a well loved quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel did an awesome job! Kudos. Yep, best keep an eye on your stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't mean to be the first three links! Hope that's not a problem? Your son looks so proud and excited! The fuzzy pictures made me laugh, my son is so like that too. The quilt is great, I bet he'll treasure it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it M-R!! The kids look so happy with it, lol. They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like those quilts are being well loved and used! Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so fun! He did such a great job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! You know, the quilting is gorgeous. It does look like gold and goes so well with the border! At least your son was determined to finish. I have to get my son's WIP out of the shoe box one of these days and get him back at it. Especially now that we have two machines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love his quilt! It's so nice to see him so excited about his finish. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. He did a great job. We all know that fabric speaks to us, maybe the bulldog square, spoke to him. This might be a sign of more quilts, in his future. Loved the different photos of the quilt. It's so great to give a young person the chance to create.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, this totally made me laugh! Especially that bulldog. :) My oldest is just now starting to show an interest in making--I'm hoping we can make his next quilt together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha.. your pictures made me laugh out loud!! It's really sweet that he is so excited :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  12. I now want to back every one of my quilts in that maple leaf fabric lol! It looks great and I had to search for the bulldog in the all over shot :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the story the pictures tell. Children are so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good job Daniel! I wish it was my 7 year old that took interest in quilting rather than my 3 year old... 3 year olds and sewing machines don't mix!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best TGIF post ever! The kind memories are made of. You are an amazing mama to take the time and have patience to get to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like you all had fun with that photoshoot! Great quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have produced such cuties. and the quilt's not bad either!

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...