Wednesday 13 August 2014

A Banner Day for Otis - A Finished Top

The top is done! Good thing too, because my new nephew, little Otis, has made his debut! And with the completely objective eye that only an aunt can have, he's stinking adorable too. I got to hold him yesterday for the first time. :D

When I last shared this project, I was debating the striped cording. You guys gave me the thumbs so away I went. With the layout I was trying to go random with the colours and sizes of the bunting triangles, but I just couldn't do it.

The bunting was appliquéd to a white background and I secured them using a glue stick instead of pins before sewing them down. There are fewer bubbles between the bunting and the background this wekk so I'm much happier with the result.


Now I'm debating the quilting. Using plexiglass sheets and dry erase markers, I tested out some different motif combos. There are so many ways to quilt this with all over designs, but I wanted to accentuate the bunting somehow.

Option 1: Lines, wishbones and swirls:


Option 2: Loops, lines and wishbones:


Option 3: Loops, lines and stippling:


Option 4: Pointy curves (yeah, I can't think of what these are called right now):


I'm a bit behind on replying to comments rights now, but I hope to get back to you all once I'm done cuddling Otis some more. Hope you are having a fabulous day!

11 comments:

  1. My fave is Option 2: loops, lines and wishbones for that gorgeous quilt but more importantly get back to cuddling your nephew - Chris :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loops lines and wish bones! What a great idea about auditioning with Plexiglass sheets! Ingenious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My vote goes to option 2! Have fun cuddling... We will wait! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. No idea on quilting but good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on welcoming your newest family member!
    I too, like the loops, lines and wishbones. (No need to reply.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like options 2 or 3. Looking forward to seeing what you do.
    Enjoy little Otis and all the baby snuggles! As you know, time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are all interesting but I like 4 as it looks like a sunburst from rays (triangles). I would echo quilt rather than add waves. No matter what, Otis will love it and his aunt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure which option...1, 2, or 3. Happy snuggling with Otis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got to get myself some Plexiglass, it's a great idea. You might have already started this, by now, but I like #2 loops, lines and wishbones. I think the focus should be on the bunting triangles and the simpler quilting would do that.

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...