Thursday 8 September 2016

TGIFF! - Ego Check

Welcome to TGIFF! Yes, I'm hosting again this week. Yay! So you know how I shared my best work to date last week? My We The North Since 1867 received amazing feedback. Thank you all! I'm still replying to comments from last week.

Well, this week is a little bit of a reality check for me. The universe always has timely lessons for me to "not get too big for my britches," as the saying goes.

So here's the story.

It's back-to-school time in our house, right? Our oldest son is starting grade 7 at a new school and needs a new pencil case. Clearly on some delusional high from last week's successful finish, I offered to make him one. Not an easy flat or box style one, but a tube one with an f'ing zipper! 3D projects are not my strong suit.

We picked out some great fabrics.


And I even had the zipper on hand, which is weird because I don't buy those zipper things. Must have come from my grandmother's sewing kit.

I found a great tutorial online. Now, I'll be very clear here. I, M-R Charbonneau, of sound mind and body, in no way, shape or form, hold the lovely writer of this tutorial responsible for my 'modifications' and resulting product.


I redid the zipper three times and the tube ends twice. There were many curse words and much questioning of my sewing ability. In the end, it got done. And done is better than perfect.

Oldest child is still quite happy with it so that is what matters. And really, within a week, it's going to be dingy from hanging out at the bottom of his bag and falling on the floor repeatedly (he is remarkably similar to his mother in his clumsiness).




6 comments:

  1. I think your pencil case looks good! Tough about putting in the zip; actually that's what scares me most about making bags, and why I have so many bags just waiting for a zip ..., and waiting...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for giving this pencil case a try! I know I would be swearing all over the place and it most likely would have ended up in the trash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy to hear I am not the only one that struggles with 3D items. So many quilters make them look so easy. Good for you for sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it looks great. Kudos for making the attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm truly impressed. I've numerous bag patterns lurking in my Feedly file and various computer folders. I have zippers, I have fabric, I have thread, I have clear vinyl and gold speckle vinyl, have I made a bag yet? Have I heck. Perhaps after my holiday....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pencil case is quite a charmer ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...