Wednesday 8 June 2011

Works in Progress Wednesday #4

Good quilting week! I'm rejigging my categories below because I realized that some of my "On Hold" projects may actually be on hold permanently. They would probably be better categorized as Unfinished Objects (UFOs) -- sad, but true. I may take them off eventually, but I'll keep them there for now because I do sometimes go back to an old project.

New Projects:
Project Y - Earlier this week, I blogged about a new project using some Kaffe Fassett I had bought. I finished some of the squares yesterday and I'm loving them so far, especially how the stripes make the blocks look much more complex than they actually are. The stripes are a little tricky to line up, but I'm doing my best to not care about that and just let it be scrappy and free form.

The best surprise was that the largest square in the photo above is actually made up of the 'remnants' of the 'real' squares. I'm going to use the remnant blocks on the back of the quilt so I use up as much of the fabric as possible.

Completed Projects (also a new project):
Lunch Bag for Daniel's teacher - One down, two more to go - Yay!

Current Projects:
Value-able Colours/Project X - I thought of a name for this one - From Light to Dark and Back Again. I've been working on the free motion quilting and I must say that I'm in the "I hate the quilting" zone with this quilt. I'm trying to do a big version of Leah Day's Echo Maze all over it, but the straight lines still feel unnatural to me. I'm also using monofilament on the top and black on the bottom. The first monofilament thread (Gutterman) I was using kept breaking. I switched types (I think it's YLI now) and it is going much better. Nevertheless, it feels like I'm fighting with the quilt, which aggravates my hands (old tendonitis injuries). So I've decided that I'll work a little bit on it each day and then work on other projects when I get tired or discouraged. But I will come back to it again the next day.

Micah's Growth Chart - I also starting working on my youngest son's growth chart. The theme for Micah's chart is fire. Patrick's was water and Daniel's was grass/earth. I finished Patrick and Daniel's earlier this year and they are now hanging in the downstairs hallway. It's incomplete without Micah's chart though. Micah's is going to be the most complex, which is why it's taken me a while to get going on it. I did the name plate for it this week and bought the remaining fabrics.

Completed Tops Awaiting Quilting:
Landscape quilt
10X Leaves
Fibonacci's Not Random

On Hold:
Red and Tan Amish Wedding Ring
Stained Glass Lillies
Christmas tree skirt
Tangled Garden
Red and Tan Bargello in the Round 2
Spiral/Spring seta colour

UFOs that may one day get finished, but really who knows?
Converging Stars
Chop Suey
Wedding quilt
Linus quilt
Nine patch colourwash

WIP Wednesday #4 Recap:
New projects: 3
Completed projects: 1
Currently in progress: 5
On Hold: 6
UFOs: 5

Bucket List: 39

Check out Freshly Pieced to see what others have been up to this week.
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

8 comments:

  1. Wow, I love those blocks!! So fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those blocks are very cool but I think it would make my dizzy staring at them too long :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the striped blocks! Sounds like a good plan to quilt just a little each day. You don't want to cause further injury! Love your lists!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Work! Love the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. those stripey squares are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I love your idea for the growth charts and would love to see them. I also like your name for your quilt. Names are sometimes difficult things to come up with, and also difficult things to like. I named my only pattern (so far) X Marks the Spot, but still not sure if I love the name!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, man. I'd never seen Leah Day's FMQ work before. WOWWEE ZOWWEE!!! That girl's got some talent! Thanks for pointing me in that direction...now my family won't have dinner tonight because I'm glued to my laptop flipping through her Flickr set!

    ReplyDelete

Yay Comments! Thank you for taking the time to post a comment. I usually reply to comments via e-mail. If you are a no-reply blogger, please leave me your e-mail address so I can get back to you. Unfortunately, I've had to disallow Anonymous posts due to spam -- sorry! Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...