I managed to finish 15 of the 20 mug rugs yesterday - yeah, baby! I haven't slept a lot and I think I'm beginning to get a tick in my left eye, but they are done. Woo hoo!
To avoid going completely insane doing these mug rugs, I decided to make them as a quilt top, sandwich and quilt them and then cut them to the finished mug rug size (5" by 7"-ish). Way simpler than making each individually.
I used an unused block and a couple of strip sets from some old projects. The block, which was 15" by 15", was just sandwiched and quilted. For the strip sets, I slashed them up and inserted black strips in varying widths and in various directions. A fun, improvisational method.
|The back of the quilted block|
I also tried a different machine binding technique - Rachel's zig zag method. It worked pretty well. Yay! Nice to have another binding option.
The finished mug rugs!
More gratuitous photos...
Lucy from Charm About You is hosting TGIFF! this week. She has a fabulous robot quilt this week. Definitely a must see and a quilt I must figure out how to get. Too bad I can't elbow her from here to get it. ;)